Hydrocodone/phenylephrine/chlorpheniramine (By mouth)
Chlorpheniramine Maleate (klor-fen-IR-a-meen MAL-ee-ate), Hydrocodone Bitartrate (hye-droe-KOE-done bye-TAR-trate), Phenylephrine Hydrochloride (fen-il-EF-rin hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats cough, runny nose, and stuffy nose caused by a cold or upper respiratory tract infection.
HC Tussive, Histinex HC, Poly-Tussin HDThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hydrocodone, phenylephrine, or chlorpheniramine. You should not use this medicine if you have asthma or if you are are pregnant. Do not use this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate® within the past 14 days.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Drink extra fluids so you will urinate more often and help prevent kidney problems.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Drink plenty of liquids to help avoid constipation.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Tell your doctor if you have heart disease, blood vessel disorders, problems with blood circulation, or high blood pressure.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Older adults may be more likely to become drowsy while using this medicine.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may cause constipation, especially with long-term use. Ask your doctor if you should use a laxative to prevent and treat constipation.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision, dry eyes.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Constipation, upset stomach, nausea, loss of appetite.
- Dry mouth.
- Nervousness, irritability, or feelings of extreme happiness.
- Ringing in your ears.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.