Desmopressin (By mouth)
Treats diabetes insipidus. Also treats bedwetting problems.
DDAVPThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to desmopressin, or if you have moderate to severe kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, or cystic fibrosis.
- This medicine may cause low levels of sodium in your blood. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about how much liquid to drink each day.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, muscle twitching, weight gain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, flushing
- Mild stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved