Palivizumab (By injection)
Prevents infections caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
SynagisThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Your child should not receive it if he or she had a severe allergic reaction to palivizumab.
How to Use This Medicine:
- The doctor will prescribe the exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle.
- Your child should receive the first shot of this medicine before the RSV season starts. During the RSV season, the medicine is given once every month.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you must cancel an appointment, make a new one as soon as possible.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell the doctor if your child has any bleeding or blood-clotting problems.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Unusual muscle weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.