Amphotericin B liposome (By injection)
Amphotericin B Liposome (am-foe-TER-i-sin B LYE-poh-some)
Treats infections caused by a fungus or parasite.
AmbisomeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to amphotericin B.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. The medicine is given slowly, so the IV needle will usually need to stay in place for 1 to 2 hours.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how amphotericin B works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Cancer medicine
- Corticosteroid medicine, such as prednisone or cortisone
- Muscle relaxants
- Other antifungal medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your doctor may want to do lab tests while you are receiving this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Fever and chills or shaking
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or upset stomach, diarrhea
- Swelling, pain, or redness where the IV needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved