Eptifibatide (By injection)
Helps prevent blood clots during a heart attack or angioplasty.
Integrilin, Integrilin Novaplus, Premierpro Rx IntegrilinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to eptifibatide. Do not use it if you are on dialysis or if you had major surgery in the past 6 weeks, abnormal bleeding or a stroke in the past 30 days, or a history of bleeding too much or hemorrhagic stroke.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A doctor or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. It is given through a needle placed in a vein. You will receive a continuous infusion of this medicine for up to 4 days.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how eptifibatide works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- A blood thinner (such as heparin, warfarin)
- Medicine to dissolve blood clots (such as alteplase)
- An NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, high blood pressure, or any bleeding problems.
- This medicine may cause you to bleed and bruise more easily for several days after you receive it. Take precautions to avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor. Blow your nose gently.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your gums or nose
- Bloody or black, tarry stools, red or dark brown urine
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Pinpoint red spots on your skin
- Severe stomach pain, constipation, nausea, vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds
- Sudden and severe headache
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.