Sodium cellulose phosphate (By mouth)
Sodium Cellulose Phosphate (SOE-dee-um SEL-ue-lose FOS-fate)
Lowers high calcium levels in urine. Helps keeps kidney stones from forming in patients who absorb too much calcium from food.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cellulose sodium phosphate or if you have bone problems such as osteoporosis.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often.
- Mix your dose of this medicine in a glass of water, a soft drink, or fruit juice. Do not mix with milk or products that have electrolytes such as Gatorade® or Poweraid®.
- For the medicine to work, you should take it with meals or within 30 minutes of your meals.
- Drink plenty of fluids to make sure you urinate 8 cups each day.
- Your doctor may ask you to collect your urine for a 24-hour period so it can be tested.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the powder in a closed container, at room temperature, and in a dry place.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Your doctor will tell you what foods to avoid to limit the amount of calcium in your diet. Dairy foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream are high in calcium. Make sure you follow your doctor's instructions.
- You may also be told to reduce the amount of salty foods you eat.
- Avoid eating foods that have oxalate, such as chocolate, spinach, rhubarb, brewed tea, cranberries, gooseberries, or beet leaves.
- You should not use vitamin C supplements while using this medicine.
- Your doctor may tell you to take magnesium while you are being treated with medicine. You should not use magnesium or medicines that might have magnesium (such as some laxatives and antacids) within 1 hour of your dose of sodium cellulose phosphate.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk with your doctor before using this drug if you have heart failure.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Your doctor may schedule blood tests to make sure the medicine is working and is not causing harmful side effects. Try not to miss any appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.