Leucovorin (By mouth)
Prevents and treats side effects caused by certain kinds of medicines such as methotrexate (an anti-cancer medicine) or pyrimethamine (used to treat infections).
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to leucovorin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often. Make sure you understand your doctor's orders.
- If you vomit right after you take this medicine, tell your doctor.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a regular schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the tablets at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking fluorouracil, phenobarbital, phenytoin (Dilantin®), or primidone (Mysoline®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Before taking this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you have anemia.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Skin rash, itching, or hives
- Swelling in the lips, face, or tongue
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.