Imipenem/cilastatin (By injection)
Cilastatin Sodium (sye-la-STAT-in SOE-dee-um), Imipenem (im-i-PEN-em)
Imipenem and Cilastatin Novaplus, PremierPro RX Imipenem and Cilastatin, Primaxin IVThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to imipenem or cilastatin. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any other antibiotic, especially a penicillin or cephalosporin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Missed dose: You should receive your medicine as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose. Ask your caregiver if you have questions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how this drug works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Seizure medicine, including divalproex sodium or valproic acid
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, seizures or similar nervous system conditions, or allergies.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling red skin rash
- Severe diarrhea, which may contain blood
- Seizures, confusion, tremors
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.