Antihemophilic factor (By injection)
Antihemophilic Factor (an-tee-hee-moe-FIL-ik FAK-tor)
Prevents and controls bleeding in patients with hemophilia A.
Advate, Adynovate, Afstyla, Eloctate, Helixate FS, Hemofil M, Koate, Koate-DVI, Kogenate FS, Kogenate FS with BIO-SET, Kovaltry, Monoclate-P, Novoeight, Nuwiq, ObizurThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to antihemophilic factor (AHF).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose:
- It is important that you use this medicine according to your schedule. If possible, have other family members trained to give your treatment in case you cannot give it to yourself.
- If you do miss a dose, ask your doctor or home health caregiver for instructions. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Each brand of medicine has different storage instructions. Follow the directions for your brand. Most brands need to be stored in the refrigerator. Some brands can be stored at room temperature for up to 12 months. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure how to store your brand. Do not use this medicine after the expiration date.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart or blood vessel disease or von Willebrand disease. Also tell your doctor if you are allergic to hamsters or mice.
- AHF may be made from donated human blood. Some human blood products have transmitted viruses, although the risk is low because donors and blood are both tested for viruses. AHF products that are not taken from human blood are also available. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
- Call your doctor if you continue to have bleeding problems after you use this medicine, or if your medicine does not seem to be working as well as usual.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.