Calcipotriene (On the skin)
Treats plaque psoriasis in adults.
Calcitrene, Dovonex, SoriluxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to calcipotriene or you have hypercalcemia.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Foam, Liquid, Ointment
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine. If the skin on your hands is being treated with the medicine, only wash the skin that is not affected.
- To use this medicine:
- Cream or ointment: Apply a thin layer to the red, scaly patches on your skin. Rub it in gently until it disappears into the skin.
- Liquid: First comb your dry hair to remove extra skin flakes and scales. Part your hair so you can see the patches on your scalp. Then apply the liquid only to the affected patches. Rub it in gently until it disappears into the scalp.
- Foam: Break the plastic piece on the nozzle of the can. Shake the can before each use. Turn the can upside down and place a small amount into the palm of your hand. Apply a thin layer to the affected area of the skin. Rub it in gently until it disappears into the skin. If using on the scalp, apply when your hair is dry.
- The liquid and foam are flammable and could catch on fire. Do not use these medicines near heat, an open flame, or while smoking. Do not poke holes in the foam canister or throw it into a fire, even if the canister is empty. Do not keep the foam inside a car where it could be exposed to extreme heat.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are getting light therapy for your psoriasis.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any medical problems.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined. Do not use the medicine in or near your face, eyes, mouth, or vagina.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme confusion or mood swings
- Increase in thirst or how often you urinate
- Muscle weakness
- Severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting
- Skin burning, pain, redness, or peeling
- Uneven heartbeat
- Worsening of psoriasis
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite
- Mild redness or pain where you apply the medicine
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.