Rimantadine (By mouth)
Treats or prevents infections caused by the flu (influenza A).
FlumadineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to rimantadine or amantadine (Symmetrel®).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- If you are taking this medicine to treat flu symptoms, you should take rimantadine as soon as possible after the flu symptoms begin (within 48 hours). Keep taking it for as long as your doctor has ordered.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
- Measure the oral liquid with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed a dose.
- If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid form.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking cimetidine (Tagamet®), acetaminophen (Tylenol®), or aspirin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before taking if you have a seizure disorder (such as epilepsy), liver disease, or kidney disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Be careful when driving or using machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Swelling in feet or lower legs
- Skin rash, itching, or hives
- Yellowing of skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Trouble sleeping
- Nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.