Pyridostigmine bromide (By mouth)
Pyridostigmine Bromide (pir-id-oh-STIG-meen BROE-mide)
Treats myasthenia gravis (a muscle disease).
Mestinon, Mestinon Timespan, Pyridostigmine BromideThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to pyridostigmine.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Long Acting Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- You may take this medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush or chew before swallowing.
- Measure the oral liquid with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep this medicine in the original tightly closed, light-resistant container. Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking this medicine.
- Avoid taking other medicines that make you sleepy such as sleeping pills, cold or allergy medicine, strong pain killers, or tranquilizers (Thorazine®, Mellaril®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have asthma, heart disease, an enlarged prostate, or intestinal or urinary blockage. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while taking this medicine.
- This medicine may cause confusion or blurred vision. Be careful when driving a car or using machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, itching, or hives
- Trouble breathing
- Slurred speech
- Irregular heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Muscle cramps or twitching
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Stomach cramps
- Increased saliva
- Watering eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.