Antifungals (Into the vagina)
Treat vaginal infections caused by fungus.
3 Day Vaginal Cream, Equate Miconazole 1, Equate Miconazole 7, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 1, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 3, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 7, Good Sense Miconazole 3, Good Sense Miconazole 7, Gynazole-1, Gyne-Lotrimin, Gyne-Lotrimin 7, Hylafem, Leader Miconazole 3 Combination Pack, Miconazole 3 Combination Pack, Miconazole 7There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to antifungals, such as ketoconazole, Monistat®, Femstat®, clotrimazole, Terazol®, or Vagistat®.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Suppository, Tablet, Tampon, Ointment
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often. Use this medicine at bedtime.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Wash your hands before and after using this medicine.
- The cream or ointment comes in a tube. You will use an applicator to put the medicine into your vagina. The applicator is an empty plastic tube called a barrel that is open at one end and has a plunger (another piece of plastic that can move inside the barrel) at the other end.
- Remove the cap from the end of the tube of cream or ointment. Squeeze the medicine from the tube into the open end of the applicator until the barrel is filled with medicine.
- If you are using the vaginal tablet or suppository, unwrap the medicine and place it in the applicator as directed. You may wet the suppository with warm water or a water soluble lubricating gel (K-Y® Jelly). You should not use petroleum jelly (Vaseline®).
- Put the applicator into the vagina (like you would a tampon) as far as you can and push the plunger all the way in. Remove the applicator and wash it with warm soapy water.
- If you are using the medicated tampon, leave the tampon in your vagina overnight and remove it in the morning.
- Wear only clean cotton underwear (panties) instead of nylon or rayon underwear. The medicine will come out of your vagina, so wear a minipad or sanitary napkin to protect your clothing. Keep using this medicine for as long as your doctor tells you to. Continue to use it even if your menstrual period begins. Use pads rather than tampons.
If a dose is missed:
- Use your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a closed container away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid using douches and vaginal creams unless your doctor says to do so.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Call your doctor right away if your symptoms do not go away after using this medicine for the full time ordered by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Vaginal itching or burning
- Vaginal discharge
- Stomach discomfort
- Skin rash
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.