Flutamide (By mouth)
Treats prostate cancer.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had had an allergic reaction to flutamide, or if you have severe liver disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is to be used by men only.
- Flutamide is taken with other medicines to treat prostate cancer. Take all other medicines your doctor has prescribed as part of your combination treatment.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store this medicine at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking blood thinners (Coumadin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease.
- Use a condom to keep your semen out of contact with your sexual partner, especially if she is pregnant.
- Your doctor may want to test your blood while you are taking this medicine. Make sure you keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools
- Extreme weakness
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in the upper stomach
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breast swelling
- Diarrhea, stomach upset, loss of appetite
- Hot flashes
- Problems with sex
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.