Ethambutol (By mouth)
Treats tuberculosis (TB).
MyambutolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to ethambutol or if you have damaged eye nerves (optic neuritis).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Ethambutol can be taken with food to avoid stomach upset.
- Take this medicine on a regular schedule. Keep taking it even if you are feeling better. Your doctor will tell you when you can stop taking it.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature and protect from direct heat, moisture, and light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before taking ethambutol if you have gout, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- This medicine may cause blurred vision. If it does, avoid driving or using dangerous machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Any vision changes such as blurring, color blindness, trouble seeing
- Eye pain
- Swelling of face, lips, throat
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Numbness, pain, or tingling in hands or feet
- Joint pain
- Fever or chills
- Skin rash
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Poor appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.