Clofibrate (By mouth)
Lowers triglyceride levels.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use clofibrate if you have had an allergic reaction. This medicine should not be used if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or have kidney or liver disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Take clofibrate with or right after meals.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking Coumadin®, Mevacor®, Questran®, furosemide (Lasix®), or diabetes medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before you take this medicine if you have gallbladder disease or stomach ulcers.
- Before you stop taking this medicine, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine is used with diet, exercise, and weight loss in overweight patients to control high triglyceride levels. To lower and keep normal triglyceride levels, all of these are important.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Muscle weakness, pain or cramps
- Rash, fever, or itching
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Severe stomach pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.