Potassium chloride (By mouth)
Potassium Chloride (poe-TAS-ee-um KLOR-ide)
Prevents and treats low potassium levels in the blood.
K-Tab, Kali Mur, Klor-Con, Klor-Con 10, Klor-Con 8, Klor-Con M10, Klor-Con M15, Klor-Con M20, Klor-Con SprinkleThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use if you had an allergic reaction to potassium.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Long Acting Capsule, Powder, Liquid, Long Acting Tablet, Granule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take this medicine with food or right after eating, to avoid stomach upset.
- Powder or oral liquid: You must mix with at least one-half cup (4 ounces) of water or juice. You could damage your stomach if you take the medicine without mixing it with water or juice.
- Tablet or capsule: Do not chew, crush, or break. Swallow it whole with full glass of water.
- Extended-release capsule: Swallow whole with a full glass of water. If you cannot swallow the extended-release capsule, you may open it and pour the medicine into a small amount of soft food such as pudding, yogurt, or applesauce. Stir this mixture well and swallow it without chewing.
- Extended-release tablet: Swallow whole with a full glass of water. If you have trouble swallowing, ask your doctor or pharmacist if you may crush the tablet. Some brands of this medicine must be swallowed whole, but other brands may be crushed.
- If you mix the medicine in water or soft food, do not mix until you are ready to take your dose. Do not save mixed medicine for later use.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how potassium chloride works. Tell you doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Potassium-sparing diuretic (water pill)
- ACE inhibitor blood pressure medicine
- Salt substitute
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, heart disease, or problems with your digestive system.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Bleeding or ulcers in the digestive system
- Potassium levels that are too high
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Confusion, weakness, uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing, numbness in your hands, feet, or lips
- Severe stomach pain or vomiting
- Throat pain, feeling as if pill is stuck in the throat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea, diarrhea, gas
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.