Gentamicin (On the skin)
Treats skin infections.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to gentamicin or other aminoglycoside antibiotics such as neomycin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how often to use this medicine.
- Before applying gentamicin, wash the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly.
- Put the medicine on your skin and rub in gently.
- Use this medicine for as long as your doctor tell you. Don't stop using it, even if the infection looks better.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the medicine as soon as possible.
- Then go back to the usual times that you use your medicine.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature; do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put anything else on the skin where you are using gentamicin unless approved by your doctor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If your infection does not get better or gets worse while using this medicine, contact your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe skin irritation, redness or swelling that was not there before using this medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild redness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.