Flurazepam (By mouth)
Treats insomnia (trouble sleeping).
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to flurazepam or similar medicines, or you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: If you forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can for sleeping problems. You should not use two doses in the same evening. It may take a full hour (60 minutes) for the medicine to work for sleep.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how flurazepam works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Medicine for depression or mental health problems
- Medicine for seizures
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, glaucoma, lung disease or breathing problems, or a history of alcohol or drug abuse, depression, or mental health problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Respiratory depression (serious breathing problem that can be life-threatening), when used with narcotic pain medicines
- This medicine can increase thoughts of suicide. Tell your doctor right away if you start to feel depressed and have thoughts about hurting yourself.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy or may cause sleep-related behaviors such as sleep-driving, making phone calls, or preparing and eating food while asleep or not fully awake. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- Confusion or unusual excitement, nervousness, or irritability
- Depression, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, unusual behavior, thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- Extreme drowsiness or weakness, slow heartbeat, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness, dizziness, clumsiness, or trouble with concentrating
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.