Sucralfate (By mouth)
CarafateThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to it.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Do not stop taking the medicine unless your doctor tells you to, even if you feel better.
- Take your medicine on an empty stomach. Swallow the tablet with a glass of water.
- Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, take the medicine 1 hour before meals and at bedtime.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine using a measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Shake the oral liquid medicine well before using.
If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you missed your dose.
- If it is nearly time for your next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, light, and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Antacids may be taken one-half hour before or after taking sucralfate.
- You should not take other medicines within 2 hours before or after taking sucralfate. If you need help deciding the best times to take your other medicines, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before taking if you have kidney problems or are on dialysis.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash, hives, or itching
- Swelling of the face or mouth
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Mild stomach cramps, diarrhea
- Upset stomach, gas
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.