Famotidine (By mouth)
Treats ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and conditions that cause the stomach to produce too much stomach acid. Also treats heartburn caused by acid indigestion.
Acid Controller, Acid Reducer, Famotidine Acid Reducer, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Acid Reducer, Good Sense Acid Reducer, Heartburn Relief, Leader Acid Reducer, Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Quality Choice Acid Controller, TopCare Acid ReducerThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to famotidine or to similar medicines such as ranitidine (Zantac®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), or nizatidine (Axid®).
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Dissolving Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- The chewable tablet must be chewed completely before you swallow it.
- If you are using the disintegrating tablet, make sure your hands are dry before you handle the tablet. Do not open the blister pack that contains the tablet until you are ready to take it. Remove the tablet from the blister pack by peeling back the foil, then taking the tablet out. Do not push the tablet through the foil. Place the tablet in your mouth. It should melt within 2 minutes. Swallow after the tablet has melted.
- Shake the oral liquid medicine for 5 to 10 seconds before each use. Measure the medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed. Throw away any unused oral liquid that is more than 1 month old.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). If you have this condition, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, diarrhea, or upset stomach.
- Headache or dizziness.
- Nausea or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.