Desoximetasone (On the skin)
Treats skin irritation, allergic reactions, plaque psoriasis, and other skin problems. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
Topicort, Topicort LPThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to desoximetasone, betamethasone, hydrocortisone, or triamcinolone.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Gel/Jelly, Ointment, Spray
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use this medicine on your face, neck, armpits, or groin area unless your doctor tells you to.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- This medicine is not for long-term use. Do not use the spray for more than 4 weeks unless directed by your doctor.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. The spray bottle is flammable. Do not use it near heat, an open flame, or while you smoke.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine. Throw away any spray that you have not used after 30 days.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how desoximetasone works. Tell your doctor if you are also using another corticosteroid medicine, such as betamethasone, hydrocortisone, or triamcinolone.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have Cushing disease, diabetes, or a skin infection.
- This medicine may cause problems with your endocrine system.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Color changes on the skin, dark freckles, easy bruising, muscle weakness, round or puffy face
- Severe itching, burning, irritation, redness, swelling, or thinning of the skin
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, or waist
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne or pimples, rash
- Mild itching, burning, or dryness
- Poor healing of the skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.