Nadolol (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure and angina (chest pain). A lower blood pressure can reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack. This medicine is a beta-blocker.
CorgardThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to nadolol. Do not use this medicine if you have asthma or certain heart problems. Talk with your doctor about what these heart problems are.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using digoxin (Lanoxin®), reserpine, insulin, or diabetes medicine that you take by mouth (such as glimepiride, glyburide, metformin, Actos®, Janumet®, Januvia®),
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, heart failure, heart disease, diabetes, lung problems (such as chronic bronchitis or emphysema), overactive thyroid, or a history of allergic reactions.
- This medicine may worsen the symptoms of heart failure in some patients. Tell your doctor right away if you have trouble breathing, uneven heartbeat, rapid weight gain, or swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or lower legs.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine without asking your doctor, even if you feel well. This medicine will not cure your high blood pressure, but it will help keep it in normal range. You may have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet, rapid weight gain
- Trouble breathing, cold sweat, bluish-colored skin
- Very slow or uneven heartbeat
- Worsening chest pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild dizziness or tiredness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved