Hydroxychloroquine (By mouth)
Treats or prevents malaria. Also used to treat lupus and arthritis.
PlaquenilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to hydroxychloroquine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often. You should not use this medicine more often or in greater amounts than your doctor ordered.
- Take this medicine with food or milk.
If a dose is missed:
- If you take one dose a week, take the missed dose as soon as possible. Then return to your regular dosing schedule.
- If you take one or more doses daily, take the missed dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor if you have vision or eye problems, liver disease, skin disorder, or any other medical problems before you take this medicine.
- This medicine may cause dizziness and vision changes. Be careful while driving a car or operating machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Severe or bloody diarrhea
- Blurred vision or eye problems
- Skin rash or itching
- Unexplained fever, unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or upset stomach
- Appetite loss
- Bleaching of hair or loss of hair
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.