Benzonatate (By mouth)
Tessalon Perles, ZonatussThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to benzonatate in the past.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Swallow the capsules whole; do not crush or chew. Chewing the capsule may numb your mouth and throat and you could choke.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for the next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep this medication in the original tightly closed, light-resistant container.
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Benzonatate is not recommended for children younger than 10 years old.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing
- Tightness in the chest or throat
- Tremors, shakiness, seizures
- Skin rash, itching
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, upset stomach
- Mild dizziness
- Stuffy nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.