HealthSearch

Health Guide

Pesticide risks around the home

Pesticide risks around the home

Pesticides are substances which kill or deter unwanted pests, such as insects or rodents. These substances can also be very harmful to children if ingested. Avoid storing toxic substances in unmarked and inappropriate containers (such as food containers), and put safety latches on cabinets that a child should not open. The best way to avoid an accidental ingestion is to keep all pesticides out of the reach of children.






Review Date: 4/21/2015
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.